Monday, March 9

#4 Tip Calculator


There are a lot of good Mormon principles that somehow get warped into destructive behaviours. For example, the principle of Frugality. Frugality is a very good thing in general. It helps Mormons stay out of debt, amass large quantities of dried foods and have large families without living off of food stamps. Unfortunately, many Mormon men warp this celestial principle into a justification for being Cheap.

Mormons in general are known as being Cheap. A server's nightmare is a big group of Mormons descending on a half-price burger night, monopolizing three or four tables (all pushed together of course), and not ordering anything but burgers. If you are a Cheap man, I'm sure you will be able to find a Cheap woman and together you can stiff all the servers you want. However, to most of us, Cheapness on a date is one of our nightmares as well.

Nothing makes you feel worse faster than sitting down with your date at a nice restaurant and watching his face slowly turn green as he flips through the menu. Except maybe when he tells you (after you've already ordered drinks) that he's changed his mind and would rather go to the Dennys around the corner. And then, after a nice meal at Dennys, the guy pulls out a tip calculator. He jokes about what a good thing it is. You make a mental excuse for him, "Maybe he is just not good at math. Maybe he is more of an artistic type." Come on, ladies, this guy has been paying his tithing for 20 years. He knows how to calculate 10% and should be able to take it from there. The tip calculator is to help him figure out the bare minimum he can leave on the table.

Guys, "Cheap" makes your date feel like she is not worth the $2.50 you refused to spend on her drink. She's likely leaving that much on the table when she runs back because she "forgot her purse" to make up for your weak tip. Do your research. Don't take her to a restaurant if you can't afford everything on the menu. We aren't dumb. If we are ordering the most expensive thing on the menu, it's not by accident and you'd better start thinking of what you've done wrong.

12 comments:

  1. Nice closing comment. I don't get what everyone else's deal is, but you can definitely be funny.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true! So far this blog is great--I found it reading comments from your nemesis' blog, which by the way, is now invite to read only...so LAME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you should write a blog about why Mormon women rock! We are the cream of the crop and these men to recognize!

    Instead of having your rebuttal be why Mormon dudes are lame (which a lot are) I would focus on why Mormon women deserve to be respected and appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think listening to Peggy Lee's "I'm a Woman" might inspire some good blog entries.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello hello. I'm a Latter-day Saint Male and I want to write a book on the challenges facing LDS YSAs today. I have a survey that I would like any and all YSAs to fill out. There's a group on facebook dedicated to it:

    http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=7951793&ref=profile#/group.php?gid=68749005554&ref=mf

    It's best to join the group and take the survey instead of linking to the survey because every 100 responses I have to make a new copy of the survey.

    Anyway, if you could take a look and decide whether or not you'd like to promote this that would be great. I think it's time that our voices are heard, and this is a way to do it. Thanks so much!

    Also, if you would care to correspond, just add me on facebook, I am the creator of the group above.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh my gosh. you girls are HAGS. Who goes out on a date and orders the most expensive thing on the menu. Didn't you rich parents teach you any manners. When someone has the common courtesy to take you out to dinner you should be flattered and act humble and appropriate. Don't just order the Fillet Mignon and you fun fruity virgin drink just to be a shrew. No wonder all these people can't find a man or woman. It seems that common sense and politeness has FLOWN out the window.

    and sure lame tippers suck (I've waitressed before...I know what it's like) But maybe you little princess confuse cheapness with frugality (which is something to LOOK for in a man you dumb girls)

    So lame. I'm sickened by my own sex.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and I'm sorry that had so many typos and grammatical errors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I couldn't agree with Whitney more. I thought that other dude's blog was right on the money about 99% of the time, and it was funny to boot. Everything I've read on this blog has epitomized exactly why lame girls are single. I can't stand the holier-than-thou, I'm a princess, and every guy on the planet should be thrilled to spend all his hard-earned money woo-ing me attitude that so many douchettes seem to have. All you have to do to not be single is be a cool person and date cool people. All the guys I dated were awesome, and I ended up with the most awesome one of all. Because I would never think to bitch about how expensive of a restaurant a guy took me to. Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a tip calculator on my and am not ashamed. I only pay tips on the service I get too, so if its good and over the top, I'm willing to leave a little extra. If the service is utterly lame, then I'm leaving monopoly money, honey.

    Really, $2.50 for a drink!!? Wow, if I spend that much money on a drink regularly, it better be from the fountain of youth... and I get to keep the cup afterward. Any girl that tries to play these games on a guy of "am I worth this much to you" needs to get a reality check, and not feel too bad when their guy says yes-and-no.

    I'm frugal but decent, but I'm thinking hard right now if I'd be mormon-man enough to pull a "I need to go to the restroom" emergency exit if I saw a $100+ restaurant bill.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi all,

    I am bit older than most of you- 42. I am Catholic and have been seeing a wonderful LDS divorced dad who has full custody of his 2 boys, and is great at juggling everything. I too have 2 boys, younger than his, attending Catholic school. We are quickly falling in love and really care about each other. What would say are our chances? He is very devoted and so are we.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have no reason to post, but if I happen to date a girl who orders the most expensive item on the menu, I might order it too, because it's possible that she knows more about good food than I do. And if I can't afford it all the time, then I won't go to that restaurant all the time.

    That said, I try to tip at least 30%. I consider it the temporal version of "being generous in tithes and offerings", and I expect karma to reward me later.

    ReplyDelete